Talk to your physician about medical cannabis and educate them about the program.
Have your physician complete a Physician Certification Form and mail to IDPH. (MCAI can assist patients in educating their physicians about medical cannabis.) All applicants, except for Veterans receiving care at a VA facility, must have their physician submit a written certification for the use of medical cannabis. The certification must be received within 90 days of your application and must show an in-person visit date within the last 90 days.
Begin the Illinois Medical Cannabis Application. The Application Must Include:
- Must be a legal resident of the State of Illinois at the time of the application and remain a resident during the participation in the program
- Have a qualifying debilitating medical condition
- Must complete Fingerprint-based Background check and not have been convicted of an excluded offense
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Not hold a school bus permit or Commercial Driver’s License
- Not be an active duty law enforcement officer, correctional officer, correctional probation officer or firefighter
To satisfy the background check requirement, visit an Illinois Live Scan Vendor to get fingerprinted, and fill out a Fingerprint Consent Form. Be sure to include the Transaction Control Number (TCN) that the Live Scan Vendor will provide.
Complete the application by visiting IDPH’s website, or mail paper applications to:
DIVISION OF MEDICAL CANNABIS
535 W. Jefferson Street
Springfield, IL 62761-0001